Monday, May 14, 2012

6 hours of Stony Creek race report

Wow, Saturday was brutally long. I drove a little under 6 hours, and raced a little over 6 hours. Needless to say, I'm still recovering.

Since the 6-hour race didn't start until 2 p.m. I was able to get a pretty good nights sleep. After picking up my travel-mate (SS Danielle), we were on our way! And btw, when I refer to SS Danielle, I am talking about my 8 hours of Cannonsburg teammate from last year. She races on an El Mariachi as well, but always as a SS. Sometimes when I talk about her people think that I'm referring to myself in 3rd person, which I would NEVER EVER do!

Our ride went by really fast but we were less then excited about the weather. Dark clouds were looming overhead and it rained for the majority of our drive. We tried to be positive and pointed out any break in the clouds...but in response the sky would dump more rain on us. At one point SS Danielle was flipping through the radio station and started blaring the song..."it's going to be a bright, bright...sunshiney day." I jokingly told her that we had to switch the station or the song would get stuck in my head.

I was right-it did. 6 hours of that song....6 hours! Agggghhhh!

But I digress. Once we arrived at the venue we registered, got our bikes ready, got our nutrition ready, and tried to stay out of the intermittent rain...except when we were posing for pictures (of course). 

Before long we were lining up with the rest of the solo's and....GO! I took the lead from the beginning and had a good race. I always forget how much I like Stony Creek until I'm riding it, but it's a fun trail. And as always it was in great condition. A few sections started to get a little slick towards the end, and I could tell that I was riding them slower. Definitely need to work on my mud skills. Overall though, I felt great the entire time. Since the race was only 6 hours long my nutrition was really easy too. I filled a softflask with enough gels to last me the entire 6 hours and just had to switch out my Avila hydrapak once. Simplicity is good :-)

We had to cross the finish line by 5:29:29 if we wanted to go out for another lap and I wasn't sure if I was going to make the cut-off. A little voice started telling me to slow down so that I wouldn't have to go back out, but luckily my body doesn't ever listen to that little voice! I made it across with a few minutes to spare, and was able to go out for a 7th lap. I finished in first place with a time of 6:18 and 73 miles. It was a really fun day and I'm glad that I did the race. Ironically enough it didn't rain at all on the west side of the state (where I live) but who cares. I got a way better workout racing then I would have riding alone.

The muddy yellow shoes are back....

Everyone was hanging out after the race and waiting for awards, but we had to leave in a hurry. Not only were we on a mission to go to Caribou coffee, but SS Danielle had to work at 6 a.m. Even with leaving right after the race we didn't get home until a little after midnight. Ouch!

Danielle celebrating her race with a caramel and caribou coffee. To sum up her race...she kicked some serious booty and got 2nd overall in the women's open field. With one gear.
Racing again next weekend. More on that later though. I had to work Sunday night and the whole weekend is catching up to me today. It's time for a nap. I need to recover in a hurry if there is any hope for my next race!

PS. I have to give a huge thanks to Ted for switching out my forks. Being able to race on a suspension fork was sooo nice. So Ted, if you are reading this. My neck and back thank you :-)

No comments: