Monday, June 25, 2012

State Games race report

I'm really happy that I raced the state games. This was definitely my fastest recovery ever after a hundred miler and my legs felt pretty good for the majority of the race. It hurt...but it was fun at the same time :-)

Initially there was a little confusion about whether the elite women were racing 4 or 5 laps and we all pulled up to the start thinking that it was only 4. However at the line they announced that it was going to be 5. I was secretly happy because I figured the longer distance would play in my favor but after 2 laps I was really wishing for 4. It's funny how all things are relative. A week ago I did a hundred miler and all of a sudden a 25 mile race felt really long.  Oh well, I survived the 5th lap and made the top spot of the podium. The best part of the race was that my little sister Toni got 2nd place.
The next day Toni and I went out for a 4-hour endurance ride and I was really happy with how my legs felt. We were planning on riding the trifecta but the thought of riding at Cannonsburg was unappealing after doing 5 laps the day before. Instead we just went to Luton and rode there. The trail is in perfect shape.
Toni riding on her El Mariachi

Training is picking up again this week and I'm excited to start working hard again. I can't believe it's almost July. Summer needs to slow down just a little bit....

Even though I'm not racing this coming weekend it's going to be a busy one. I'm going to be helping the Ada Bike Shop at a free helmet event for kids. It's going to be a great event and I absolutely can't wait. Not only do I get to be a part of giving away 500 helmets, but I get to help run the skills course. I'll post more info tomorrow!

No comments: