Friday, April 04, 2014

A perfect day for a recovery day!

Normally I hate cold and rainy days. But not today. It's perfect weather for a recovery day because there is absolutely no temptation for me to do anything active outside.

My coach pumped up my training volume a lot this week. A 4-hour ride on Tuesday, a 5-hour ride on Wednesday and a 3-hour ride (in pouring rain) yesterday. Wednesday was the only nice day out of my 3-day training block and it felt great to be in the sun with my arm warmers pulled down. Now we are back to temps in the low to mid-30's and rain. It's weird. A few months ago I would have considered 30 degrees as balmy. But all it takes is one or two nice days and I have grown soft :-)
My Beargrease was all over the place this week...
Needless to say, I was dragging my feet at work today. Literally. I think my manager thought I was being overly dramatic because I was shuffling around but lifting my legs took too much effort :-)

I've done all of my secret "oh-so-pro" recovery tricks today. A pizza from Brick Road (gluten free of course), a vanilla machiatto from Starbucks, and most importantly...a nap after work!
I have the best nap buddies!
Tomorrow's race will be a good test to see if the pizza helped my legs recover faster...haha. But for now, it's time for bed. I've learned that (for me) the most important aspect to recovery is getting enough sleep. There was a time when I would have been disappointed in myself if I went to bed before 2 a.m. on a Friday night. Things have certainly changed because it's not even 9 p.m. and I'm all fist pumping because I'm going to be asleep before 9:30 p.m.

Lowell 34-Fat Bike edition tomorrow. Hope to see lots of you there :-)

1 comment:

The Padre said...

Love The Almost Yin & Yang Dog Photo!! Totally Made My Day.