Tuesday, April 08, 2014

The Lowell 50-Race Report

Race Day!!!
I woke up and had the usual, oatmeal with almond milk and fruit, lots of coffee and a bottle of raspberry lemonade carborocket.  Scott and I dropped off the dogs to my parents and were on our way to the race. It was so nice to only have to drive 30 minutes to get to the race. Once we arrived at Fallsburg Park I picked up my number plate and warmed up a little.

There were two different distances to race, 57 or 34 miles. The fat bike division was in the 34 mile distance. I watched the 57 milers take off and lined up for my start. Temps were in the low-30's and I was shivering uncontrollably. What the heck? I spent the winter racing in single digits...30-degrees should feel like a heat wave!

Finally we were off. The start was pretty controlled as racers tried to get in position. Gravel road races are tough because no one wants to miss the break or get stuck riding alone. But at the same time everyone was trying to avoid the million gazillion potholes that were all over the place!

My start was less then stellar but within a few minutes we reached our first (and most evil) climb of the day. That warmed my legs up in a hurry and by the time I reached the top I was gasping for breath and ready to race :-)

Eventually I ended up with a group of about five guys on cyclocross and mountain bikes. They were racing at a really good pace and I planted myself at the back and willed myself to stay on. I don't ride in groups often, and it took a while to get used to not seeing what was in front of me. The guys did a great job of taking good lines, but even so I hit a few teeth rattling potholes that probably would have flatted my little Ford Fiesta. My big tires just couldn't avoid some of the potholes like the skinny cross tires could...haha. Mud was flying in all directions and half-way through the race I reached the conclusion that with all the run-off from farms, I had probably swallowed some cow poo. All in a days work, right????
Photo: Jack Kunnen
Even with such a high volume training week I felt really good. There were a few times on pavement where the guys lowered their heads and started hammering so hard that I was convinced I wouldn't be able to hang on. Trust me, I was dangling at times. But I was able to push through the "bleeding from the eyeballs" feeling and we ended up racing together until the finish line. It was a great day for sure. I was the first female fatty and second fat bike overall. These gravel road races are SO great for training and I'm really happy to be getting such consistent training in. 
I love my muddy fat bike!
I have to admit that seeing this after crossing the finish line made me very, very, very happy!
Fat bike podium!
After the race it was fun to hang around with everyone. Where else but a race can you walk around with a bunch of mud on your face and have everyone act like it's completely normal?
Me and my GRBC teammates!
Bragging about my Metal arm warmers...
I'm not even going to try and explain this photo! My teammates are the best :-)
 
This coming week is going to be another heavier training week with no racing! However, I do have another gravel road race coming up. The HellKaat Hundie is right around the corner and rumor has it that the course is going to be fun. It's a free race, but to enter you have to send in a postcard. I think the deadline is April 12th which means I need to get one in asap. I can't wait for this race. Not only is it a fundraiser for JDRF but I'm going to do it with my parents! On my fat bike of course :-)



1 comment:

The Padre said...

Gr8 Job & Thanx For The Recap!! Dig the photos for sure. I don't believe I understand the Hot Dog Truck Photo?!?!? Ride Strong & I Look Forward To Seeing More Riding Photos. Cheers